Application and admission

Applicants who graduated outside of Germany or Denmark

This information is for students who have finished their first degree outside Germany or Denmark.


Time for application

Non-European citizens: January 1st - May 1st 
European citizens: January 1st - August 31st


Necessary application documents

Step 1

Fill in the application form 1 and form 2 and send them via e-mail to silke.venker(at) for a first check before you begin the official application. Do not send any scanned copies along with this online pre-application.

If you have problems opening the file or questions about filling in the application form, please contact us for help.

Application form 1: Personal information
Application form 2: For admission at university


Step 2

In reply you will get an email stating whether or not you fulfill the general requirements. This email does not state anything about admission. Upon receiving the email stating general fulfillment of requirements, you may send all paperwork to uni-assist - a federal organisation which evaluates international degrees and transforms the grades to the German grading system.


Step 3

After receiving the verification, please print out application forms 1 and 2 with your personal data (a black and white printout is adequate). Please verify that you have signed the last pages of both forms - all unsigned application forms will be rejected. Please make sure that you always write your first name and your surname in the same way it is written in your passport!

In case you have to send your documents to uni-assist please be aware of paying the fee of 75 Euro!

Necessary application documents

  • Completed application forms 1 and 2 (hand-signed)
  • Officially certified copies of diplomas (e.g. Bachelor’s certificate)
  • Officially certified copies of original transcripts of grades (Your final average grade and the general margins of the grading system of the university must be recognizable)
  • Plain copy of passport
  • Proof of English proficiency (see requirements)
  • The Uni-Assist organization debit/credit card form or the pay slip

Important: Applicants from China, Vietnam and Mongolia must apply to “Akademische Prüfstelle - APS” before or while sending their documents to uni-assist.

You then send all of the required documents together in one envelope by conventional post (airmail) to:

uni-assist e.V.
D-11507 Berlin

Documents must reach the uni-assist organization no later than May 1st. Please take postal delivery time into consideration. If necessary, use an expedited postal service. Notification of receipt of documents will be sent by email.


Step 4

After receiving your application the organisation "uni-assist" will send you, by conventional post or by email, the acknowledgement of receipt (We are not responsible for postal delivery delays!). They will inform you, if something is missing and you still have time to submit it later. Only after this step is completed, will your application be considered in the official selection procedure.


Proof of English proficiency

If you are not a native English speaker you must have an internationally accepted language test certificate.

The following language tests are accepted:

  • TOEFL iBT test with a minimum score of 88 (maximum 2 years old at the time of application)
  • IELTS academic test with a minimum overall band score of 6.5 (maximum 2 years old at the time of application)
  • C1 Advanced (CAE) with a minimum score of 180 or C2 Proficiency (CPE) - both from a Cambridge Network or from the University of Michigan.

If you are unable to complete these English proficiency exams the following exceptions may apply:

  • English was the primary language of instruction for your school education
  • At least six months of working or studying in an English speaking country
  • English was the official language of your previous Bachelor or Master studies

You must support these exceptions with adequate and officially certified documents.