Next steps

Registration at City Council

As soon as you know when you will arrive in Germany and where you will stay in Lübeck, you can make an appoinment online at the City Council. You need to bring along a specific form signed by your landlord ("Wohnungsgeberbestätigung"); the Studentenwerk sends it automatically together with the contract.


Bank account

Opening a bank account is one of the first things one should do upon arrival. You may initially need to transfer money for various purposes. We give you support for this, if needed.


Health insurance

Students must have their own health insurance coverage from the first days of arrival in Germany. There are various public and private insurance companies available. Students must decide before the beginning of their studies which company they will choose to join. In general, they are about the same price (around 100 Euro per month) and offer basic coverage.

Please note: A recommendable - but not obligatory - insurance is also the liability insurance. This covers costs which may arise when someone causes an accident unintentionally, e.g. damages somebody's car with his or her bike etc. More information


Registration at the university

You can already enroll from outisde Germany in July/August online. Please, only do so, when you got admission and know 100 % that you are coming to join the Program. There is no refund given on the enrollment fee. You can still enroll until 15th October.

  • Copy of passport
  • 1 passport size photograph
  • Copy of your previous studies, which give you the qualification for this program
  • Proof of student’s health insurance
  • Proof of payment of registration fee (50 Euro): Must only be paid once
  • Proof of payment fee for students’ union (around 257  Euro): Must be paid each semester

After arrival you can pick up your student ID and IT access and the semester ticket for free public transport from the International Office. There you have to show your original Bachelor degree once.


Visa related information

Visa extension

International students have to get an appointment right after their arrival at the foreign authority “Ausländerbehörde”. There they will change your entry visa into a 1-year or 2-year resident student visa.

You must go and get a specific appointment in advance - via e-mail.